Migrate IMAP to Office 365: Step-by-Step Guide
Summary: Are you guys still facing a problem Migrating from IMAP to Office 365? Don’t worry we are here to resolve your problem. Basically, Imap is a protocol that is used to receive the email from other email clients. In this article, we will fully describe the methods to migrate IMAP to Office 365.
IMAP stands for the Internet Message Access Protocol and actually works as a mediator between the various email clients and the server. IMAP established a connection with the email client. After establishing the connection successfully, users can send or receive the mail.
Causes Behind Migrate IMAP Email to Office 365
There are some points as a list of causes which help to make the right decision.
- Users will have the facility to back up all their emails.
- There is no need for an internet connection, You can read all the emails you have in the backup
- Feel free the worry about stolen data, You have your offline data available.
- It will be protected from the malware and the bugs. Therefore Don’t worry about them.
Now we will see the further process. We will elaborate you two different methods. The first one is the manual method and the second one is an automated method with the help of the IMAP to Office 365 migration tool.
How Do I Migrate from IMAP to Office 365?
How do I transfer my email account to Office 365? I know you will have the same query. Read the full article to know the really quick way to IMAP migration Office 365 step-by-step. Email clients provide us the feature to migrate manually, We will discuss here some points to perform the task manually.
Manual approach to migrate IMAP email to Office 365
Now we will see the manual method to Migrate IMAP to Office 365.
Need to Identify the name of your current email server
- Open your Outlook mailbox on the web.
- Now search for POP in the toolbar.
- Choose POP/IMAP from the results provided by the search.
- Complete your server’s name in the SMTP settings.
Prepare the list of the mailbox items to Migrate IMAP to Office 365
Preparation of the list of emails really required. Make the list with your email address, username, and password of the mailboxes.
Establish a connection between Office 365 to email application.
- Go to the Email Admin center, and choose the recipient’s option there.
- Now go to the More> Migration endpoints.
- Click on the (+) plus sign to create your new endpoint.
- Over the Migration Endpoint window page, click on the IMAP button.
- Fill in your IMAP server name and leave the other data unchanged in the configurations.\
- Now your IMAP server tries to establish a connection with the email clients. Furthermore, general information can be seen.
- Choose the New option to make a new endpoint using your migration endpoint name.
Create a new batch to migrate IMAP emails to Office 365
We use batch migration to migrate the emails into the batch. Since we can not migrate emails one by one. That’s why we don’t choose this option. Some steps are mentioned below for the batch migration to the new email server.
- Again go to the Email Admin center to choose the recipient’s option.
- Now click on + sign and choose the option to migrate to exchange online.
- Select the IMAP Migration option to migrate to Office 365.
- Choose your IMAP to Office 365 migration file that we have created already
- Now all the information will be shown to you after verifying the file by Office 365.
- Click Next to continue the process.
- Please choose Next from the config page.
- Select your migration endpoint
- Write your migration batch name under the new migration batch name.
- If folders need to be excluded, remove them.
- Send a copy of IMAP to Office 365 migration to the users.
- Lastly, select the option to Automatically start the batch.
Finally, our process has been completed. Now you will see the status has been converted from converted to synching. Now we have to change the MX record pointer from the current email client. So that Office 365 can detect whether to receive or send the mail. It will take around 3 days to succeed.
Limitations to Migrate IMAP to Office 365
- Users can not migrate to Office 365 If the email file is larger than 35 MB.
- It is not able to transfer email items such as Calendars, Contacts, etc.
- It might have the chance of being data loss. If all the steps are not performed perfectly.
- You need to add a domain to start the process.
Both methods are equally important. But, this method has lots of limitations as we have mentioned earlier. It doesn’t have enough resources to handle the tasks under the big organizations, so we have another way to resolve your problem.
An automated solution to Perform IMAP migration Office 365 step-by-step
It is an easier thing that needs to be done. You can use the IMAP Migration tool to get rid of all the problems you are facing related to the subject. It really helps you as a tool to Migrate to Office 365. IMAP to Office 365 migration tool design with a user-friendly interface. IMAP Backup Tool is embedded with advanced features and a great GUI. IMAP Email Backup application is high performance, less with security features, and multiple migration options. It gives incomparable speed while migrating. Also, technical support is available to help you..
Steps to Migrate IMAP to Office 365
- Launch the DRS IMAP Backup Tool. Click the option of the Add Row button.
- Check the row and fill in the required login credentials of the IMAP account.
- Repeat this procedure for adding multiple IMAP accounts. Hit Next.
- Now your IMAP account is verified, you can check the mailbox preview.
- Select the mailbox folder and click on the Next button.
- Choose PST by expanding the list of destination file formats.
- Click on the Path button to define the saving location of the PST file.
- Click Next to further process.
- Hit the convert option to begin the migration process.
- Your IMAP emails start migrating. It will take some time.
Finally, we have completed the process
In this article, we have shared reliable methods to migrate IMAP to Office 365. The manual approach is easy to perform but comes with certain limitations. Therefore, we have shared an alternative solution to IMAP email migration. The method provides 100% accurate results in less time.